I take great joy helping people face and overcome challenging experiences and emotions. It is my belief that the work of healing and growth takes place best in the context of relationship. I also believe that listening is essential for healing and growth. As David Augsburger states, “ Being heard is so close to being loved that for the average person, they are almost indistinguishable .”
With over 20 years of experience as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker in the state of Illinois, I have a diverse background in the mental health field.
- During my 16 year career as a School Social Worker, I worked with children from age 3-20. In this setting, I focused on learning and emotional disabilities, social skills deficits, behavioral difficulties, parenting concerns, ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorder and other school related issues.
- 6 years as Registry social worker for Provena St Joseph Hospital. In this setting, I performed psychological evaluations in the ER and inpatient treatment.
- 1 year in California serving as Director of Student Services at a group home for adjudicated adolescents.
- Therapist in private practice since June 2014.
I have also served as a leader and facilitator in the following ministries: Divorce Recovery, Solutions (a personal growth/healing ministry), Spiritual Formation groups, and Listen To My Life.
Currently I work with children, adolescents, adults and families. The focus of my practice ranges from school and family issues to behavior concerns, emotional issues, relational concerns, transition, grief/loss, trauma and spiritual struggles.
My therapy approach is eclectic in that I individualize my treatment to the unique needs and concerns of each client and I provide a safe environment to build on the client ’ s strengths. In the context of that safe environment I focus on building a supportive relationship with the client as a foundation for their healing and growth. Through the course of each session we will discuss the primary issues and concerns. Therapy approaches that may also be utilized during the course of therapy include Art Therapy, Play Therapy, Behavioral Modification, Life Story Work, The Ultimate Journey, EMDR, EFT Tapping, Spiritual Formation/Spiritual Practices and Immanuel Prayer. My goal is to provide a holistic approach that addresses the mind, body and soul.
• EMDR Training Phase I and Phase II, 2016/17
• Spiritual Formation Certification, The Transforming Center & Northern Seminary, 2015
• Life Coaching Certification, Fowler-Wainwright, 2011
• Masters Level Certificate in Educational Leadership, Aurora University, 2010
• Type 73 Certificate (School Social Work) in Illinois since 1993
• Masters in Social Work, Aurora University, 1993
• Bachelor of Arts in Fashion Marketing, Kansas State University, 1983
National Association of Social Workers
EMDRIA Chicago Regional Network
Please contact me at 847-737-5277 x108 to schedule an appointment or to discuss any questions you have regarding how I might help you navigate the challenges you are facing.